Track expenses and income
Track profit and loss
Integrate with TurboTax
Calculate Quarterly Tax
In this article, we’ll give you a detailed analysis of other Quickbooks Self-Employed reviews, overview, features, price and the TurboTax bundle.
Intuit Quickbooks Self-Employed is cloud-based accounting software that helps businesses across industries to automate, categorize and track expenses like assets, advertising, insurance, travel, and other expenses.
The TurboTax feature of Quickbooks Self-Employed (QBSE) enables professionals to file taxes online.
The TurboTax feature also automates the calculation of quarterly taxes and updates users with tax estimates for the year.
Quickbooks Self-Employed enables professionals to segment business and personal expenditures and to share expense summaries.
Users of QBSE can connect with their bank accounts for easy tracking and monitoring.
Users can access Quickbooks Self-Employed on their mobile devices remotely as it uses industry-standard encryption technologies to secure communication between stakeholders.
Quickbooks Self-Employed services are offered on a monthly subscription basis that includes phone support.
QuickBooks Self-Employed has made filing taxes so much easier! It’s working in the background year-round to make this time of year less time consuming and stressful.
If you’re feeling stressed about your self-employed taxes, click here to try it out with our 50 percent off code.
Quickbooks Self-Employed Reviews and Case Studies
1. Quickbooks Self-Employed is a must have for small businesses
Aaron runs all his business expenses and income through Quickbooks.
Quickbooks integrates all his business and personal banking accounts to keep all his finances separate.
With the simple app on his phone, he can swipe between his business and personal expenses on the go.
This makes it easy for him to keep all his finances separate and accounted for.
Additionally, he can run invoices and reporting through Quickbooks to keep clients on track with their monthly retainers.
- Tracking expenses is easy and simple
- Running invoices through Quickbooks Self-Employed is effective and simple.
- Clients have multiple ways of paying for invoices.
- Automatically tracking of estimated quarterly taxes.
- Editing an invoice shouldn’t require sending a reminder.
2. Keep track of your finances and tax obligations
Tim uses Quickbooks Self-Employed in his sole proprietor business to keep track of his finances and tax obligations.
He is using Quickbooks primarily because of the mileage tracking feature and its ability to auto load his business transactions.
Quickbooks Self-Employed online is good if you work remotely, in different places, on more than one computers.
- It keeps a running total of your income and estimated taxes.
- Quickbooks Self-Employed mileage feature is particularly helpful.
- The TurboTax feature is particularly easy to use and imports your data from Quickbooks.
- Automatic entries need improvement
- Quickbooks Self-Employed has a fairly steep learning curve.
3. Focus on creation not bookkeeping
Benjamin, a content writer, and solo entrepreneur have his time divided between several activities daily. From scoping out clients to researching content to bookkeeping and tax preparation.
Quickbooks Self-Employed has made his bookkeeping and tax preparation easier than ever.
With only a few clicks, his income and expenses are categorized for easy review and end of the year taxes with automatic quarterly tax reminders.
In his words, “Quickbooks Self-Employed is best suited for self-employed, freelancers, and solopreneurs”.
The tools are exceptionally useful to keep track of your expenses automatically so that you can focus on more profitable activities.
- Cross platform compatibility across all devices.
- Recognizes and automatically categorizes all transactions.
- Automatic updates and notifications
- Integrate easily with TurboTax
- Automatically exports year-end tax information for easy filing.
- Additional integrations is needed
4. Easy to use small business software
Nathanial and his partner use Quickbooks Self-Employed to keep track of their finances.
In his words, “Quickbooks is easy to use and inexpensive compared to hiring an accountant.”
“It works perfectly for what we need it to do. Easy to create an invoice and track the invoices we have out.”
- Easily keep track of expenditures
- Keep track of income from clients
- Inexpensive compared to hiring an accountant.
- Its efficiency can be a little bit overwhelming
- Not appropriate for businesses with very large amount of inventory.
5. Quickbooks Self-Employed delivers best in class service
Andreas, a procurement and sourcing manager, use Quickbooks Self-Employed to send invoices, collect payments, and track quarterly taxes.
In his business, Quickbooks helps him to stay on top of his finances, accounting information and invoicing needs.
- Tracks expenses and income
- Good for invoicing and reports
- Assign business transactions to Schedule C category.
- Exceptional user interface and navigation
- Good for accounting
- Automatic mileage tracking
- Good for managing quarterly income taxes
- No direct integration with e-commerce sites
- No time tracking
- No project tracking
- No recurring transactions
6. Quickbooks Self-Employed is best for freelancers and solopreneurs
Lawson, a business developer, use Quickbooks Self-Employed to track all his daily expenses and categorize them accordingly.
In his words “Quickbooks Self-Employed does a great job in allowing me to follow my expenses.
It provides me a quarterly tally of my estimated taxes which I can pay directly online”.
Quickbooks Self-Employed can generate quarterly or annual profit and loss reports.
The software also allows you to accumulate all your tax information which you can migrate easily to TurboTax.
- Outstanding expense tracking feature
- Monitor and pay quarterly estimated taxes
- Easily links to TurboTax
- Prompts for small tasks can be a little too much
- Glitches with bank setup can produce duplicate transactions
- Ideally suited for freelancers but not big companies.
Being self-employed, it’s hard for me to take a step back and celebrate all my hard work because I’m often bogged down by not only doing the work but also running the business side of things.
One thing that has helped relieve a lot of that stress is using QuickBooks Self-Employed to manage my finances. It’s a huge help!
Features of Quickbooks Self-Employed
Quickbooks Self-Employed is a simple accounting software made for small business owners.
Here are some of the benefits and features of Quickbooks Self-Employed:
- Great for organizing business and personal transactions
- Securely and automatically imports all transactions
- Categorizes expenses and income for Schedule C
- Helps to calculate and pay quarterly estimated taxes
- Track business profit and loss for the past 6+ years
- Record business miles from and to client meetings
- Prints complete tax summary and other reports
- Costs just $5 per month (which is a deductible business expense)
Pros of Quickbooks Self-Employed
- Useful for keeping track of unstable income.
- Tracks mileage and usage expenses
- Integrates with several apps
- Transfers information to tax software to file
- Easy to setup with good interface.
- Link bank accounts and credit cards for automatic downloads and updates.
- Simple workflow for expenses, invoices, quotes, time etc.
- Invoice and accept payment on your mobile devices.
Cons of Quickbooks Self-Employed
- Can be overwhelming if you are not good with numbers.
- Can be a bit intrusive when gathering information.
- Doesn’t include payroll
- Limited invoices
Tax Day is almost here again! With the combined power of QuickBooks Self-Employed and TurboTax Self-Employed, your taxes will be done right, guaranteed.
For questions and inquiries on the blog, please send an email to the Editor at ideasplusbusiness[at]gmail[dot]com. You can also follow IdeasPlusBusiness.com on Twitter here and like our page on Facebook here.
This website contains affiliate links to some products and services. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links at no extra cost to you.
I am Adeyemi Adetilewa, a media consultant, entrepreneur, husband, and father. Founder and Editor-In-Chief of Ideas Plus Business Magazine, online business resources for entrepreneurs. I help brands share unique and impactful stories through the use of public relations, advertising, and online marketing. My work has been featured on the Huffington Post, Thrive Global, Addicted2Success, Hackernoon, The Good Men Project, and other publications.