STEP 1: Answering the right questions
Before you sit down and write any copy at all, make sure you, at a minimum, have these questions fully answered:
1. Who is this offer for, and what problem are you addressing for them?
What truly desperate problem are you solving for them?
2. Why should they choose your solution as opposed to any other option in the market?
What’s so unique about your offer and positioning?
3. Why should they believe that the solution is real, that it’ll actually work for them, and that you’re a credible person?
What kind of overwhelming proof can you provide?
4. How will you make it more painful for them to walk away than to move forward and take action with your offer?
What’s your legitimately irresistible offer, and why should they act immediately?
STEP 2: The actual copywriting formula
Then, the writing begins. I like to start by writing a long-form story-driven “sales letter” to use as a base to draw from.
The format usually goes something like:
1. Use an attention-grabbing strong headline that hooks them while piquing their curiosity at the same time.
2. Hit them with a strong benefit right upfront in order to compel them to continue reading.
3. Tell the story about your big idea. Include the problem, promise, and proof while sprinkling in a heavy dose of emotion.
4. Reveal what’s unique about your offer.
5. Pile on social proof, case studies, testimonials, and everything that backs up your unique selling proposition.
6. Throw in a slew of bullet points jam-packed with benefits.
7. Tell them exactly how the offer will get delivered, and go into details.
8. Toss in a few bonuses that will enhance the results of your core offer.
9. Compare the price of what you’re offering to what a similar offering would be like in a different format or another large number.
10. Remove all risk from the purchase with some kind of strong guarantee.
11. Deliver your call to action in a compelling way.
12. Mention what they’ll lose out on if they don’t take action today.
13. In an addendum, restate the primary benefit, then summarize the offer and remind them of the reason to act now.
A typical copywriting example
Here’s an example of what that might look like if I were selling a pair of magic pants:
Are you wearing the wrong pair of pants without knowing it?
I sure did for the longest time, but after I discovered this pair of pants…
I quite literally 10x’d my ROAS.
How? Well, let’s backtrack a bit…
You see, back in college I tried to run Facebook Ads but had a hard time seeing any ROI.
My CPA was at an all time high, and my CTRs were just awfully low.
I was on the brink of a complete meltdown.
And, that’s when I noticed… I wasn’t wearing any pants.
So, I decided to A/B test things, and I put on a pair of jeans.
No significant difference.
Red jeans? Same thing.
I would go on to try over 1,000 pairs of pants, logging them all into a database.
Then, I started to pore through the data… and I discovered that there were a specific set of properties that made my ROAS shoot through the roof.
And so, I cloned these pants.
Which means, you can’t find a pair like this anywhere else.
As a marketing move, I’ve sent a free pair of these pants to 20 of the best digital marketers in the world, and 16 of them told me that the pants improved their ROAS by at least 10x.
The other four didn’t get back to me, but I’d assume that they’d see similar results if they tried them on).
I mean, it’s true.
These pants will…
* Give you demonstrated ROAS without the hassle of you having to go through the pain of trial and error, and save you from putting on the wrong pants that may injure your legs.
* Grant you total peace of mind that no matter how lackluster you may be at copywriting, the pants can carry you and make up for your potential shortcomings.
* Let you live the life of your dreams by almost literally printing money (because any ad you throw up while wearing these pants will be ROI-positive)
I currently have 100 pairs of these pants in my warehouse, ready to get shipped…
…and if you’re one of the first 10 to snag a pair, I’ll throw in a voucher for FREE tailoring as well (a $97 value).
Not bad, right?
If you’re a little late, no worries! As long as you’re one of the first 25 to place an order, you’ll get 100% free shipping (a $47 value).
Now, how much are these pants? They’re only $997.
Which is quite a steal compared to how much money I spent trying to figure out and clone these perfect pair of pants (I’ve spent over $100k)?
These pants come with a 30-Day 100% Ironclad Money-Back Guarantee.
So… if you don’t like the pants?
Simply box them up and ship them back to me.
Click the button below and grab a pair today.
Don’t wait for too long though, as you might miss out (I don’t know when my next shipment of pants will come in).
P.S. These pants are designed to 10x your ROAS.
Order your pair now and get total peace of mind next time you’re trying to uplevel your marketing skills.
These pants will probably get sold out fast, so don’t wait!
STEP 3: Adjust your copy to be salesy
Use this as a base and repurpose it for ad copy, landing page copy, and social sales copy.
As always, you need to adjust your tone and delivery to fit the needs of your audience.
As a side note, with a more educated audience, being overly salesy can backfire.
But in some circumstances when targeting certain demographics, adjusting your sales copy to be more “salesy” can actually increase conversions if it might not sound too trite to them.
But yeah, that’s it!
Let me know if this post was helpful for you by sharing across social media.
If this post was a complete waste of your time and wasn’t helpful at all, don’t be afraid to let me know as well.
I could always use the feedback.
Disclaimer. The views and opinions expressed here are those of the authors. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of IdeasPlusBusiness.com.
Any content provided by our bloggers or authors is of their opinion and is not intended to malign any organization, company, individual, or anyone or anything.
For questions and inquiries on the blog, please send an email to the Editor at ideasplusbusiness[at]gmail[dot]com. You can also follow IdeasPlusBusiness.com on Twitter here and like our page on Facebook here.
This website contains affiliate links to some products and services. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links at no extra cost to you.
Award-winning growth marketing consultant and digital strategist with over half a decade of experience building brands, growing communities, and directing marketing strategy for hundreds of venture-backed startups, creatives, and companies worldwide. I help tech and ecom companies scale with growth strategy, copywriting, and CRO.