When moving to a new location, it is very important to pack the dishes properly. Especially if you have sets of past centuries or sets inherited from your beloved grandmother.
Although modern cups and plates require close attention during the move. After all, the very first thing you need in a new apartment is dishes.
Moving takes a long time and, naturally, you will want to take a breath, having tea, or preparing something in a hurry, while you collect furniture and layout other things.
Therefore, the packaging of dishes when moving is a very important point in the collection.
What materials will be needed to pack dishes when moving
What to transport, in what container – you need to think about this a few days before moving.
In order for your precious and fragile dishes to arrive safe and sound, you should prepare:
- several rigid cardboard, dense boxes, even better – packing wooden boxes;
- container filler – crumpled newspapers, foam crumbs, sawdust;
- packing or bubble wrap, rags, foam rubber or synthetic winterizer;
- paper – newsprint, packaging, cardboard. The bigger, the better;
- stationery tape and scissors for gluing boxes;
- stickers with the words “Caution! Glass!”;
- bright marker;
- large and durable shopping bags.
You don’t have to buy all of this. For example, you might go to the nearest hardware or grocery store and ask for empty boxes and crates. And take the waste paper from the neighbors.
This will save money on the move.
To quickly find the necessary dishes in a new place, boxes and boxes are signed or stickers are glued to them. Expensive dishes can be placed in bulky soft things – towels, blankets. This will provide additional protection.
It is better to pack dishes with embossed patterns or covered with glaze in container boxes with filler. Rigid walls will provide the necessary safety for fragile objects.
Metal utensils, cutlery, and kitchen utensils, various accessories can be stored in shopping bags.
How to properly pack different types of dishes
Of course, in order to pack the dishes when you move, you need to take care of proper and secure containers.
At the bottom of the cardboard boxes, you need to lay thick cardboard and wrap the walls with tape.
This will give the necessary strength and will not allow the box to break or the dishes to fall out through its bottom.
Don’t try to put all your dishes in one big drawer.
It is better to take small or medium boxes and put the dishes as intended – plates in one container, mugs, and cups in another.
And be sure to sign the box or stick a sticker to make it easier to sort out the total mass of things later or if you are facing trouble then you can also help from China fulfillment center for any kind of packing and shipment solution.
First, each plate or saucer is wrapped in wrapping paper or newspaper.
Small stacks are collected from these items. These stacks are additionally wrapped in bubble polyethylene for added protection to the plates.
Then place the stack in the box on the edge. This method of packing dishes when moving reduces the load on the plates while moving.
It is better to form small stacks, not heavy, in order to reduce the pressure on the bottom of the container.
Packaging for glasses and tea sets
If you have different sets, then you need to sort them: plates and saucers to plates, cups to cups and glasses. Then tuck the crumpled paper or newspaper inside each cup or glass.
Wrap the top with additional wrapping paper or bubble wrap. Now you can be sure of the safety of the dishes.
Glasses and cups differ from plates in their volume and relief. Therefore, they should be packed differently from plates and saucers.
You need a rigid container and free-flowing filler or soft sealant, rags, cotton wool. At the bottom of the box, foam crumbs are poured or rags, synthetic winterizer, foam rubber are laid. They need to put cups and glasses.
The remaining space of the box or box should be filled with packing material so that the objects are fixed, do not roll during the move, and do not bump against each other.
Packaging salad bowls, herring bowls and the like
These objects are also voluminous and embossed. Therefore, the packaging of such utensils when moving is similar to the one used for cups and glasses.
Each product must be wrapped in bubble wrap, synthetic winterizer, soft fabric, foam rubber – whatever is available. If the dishes are in the shape of a bowl, then put crumpled paper or newspaper inside.
Pour foam plastic crumbs into the box for transportation or put softening cloth, any sealant. Immerse glass products in them.
It is imperative to fill the voids between the walls and the dishes in order to fix it and prevent it from breaking.
The most expensive and fragile of all tableware is, of course, crystal and Bohemian glass. Until now, these products adorn the table, regardless of fashion.
For any holidays they are gladly taken out of sideboards and cabinets. The play of light on the edges invariably creates a festive mood and brings back pleasant memories of those who gave you this beauty. Therefore, crystal is treated with special trepidation.
Even if a vase or salad bowl looks massive and durable, its volumetric relief is very easy to damage. So you need to pack such dishes carefully and slowly.
The ideal material for this is bubble polyethylene. First, put crumpled newspaper inside vases, glasses, salad bowls. Then, fragile objects need to be wrapped in several layers of film.
If polyethylene is not available, wrap up the crystal with soft, thick towels or napkins. Thick foam rubber or other insulation will do. To prevent all this from unfolding, wrap the packaging with tape.
In a container with dishes, you need to tightly fill all the free space in order to fix it inside. In this case, your crystal will safely reach your new home and will continue to create a festive mood for you.
Packaging of metal appliances
Unlike glassware, cutlery does not require such careful packaging. The main attention should be paid to the fact that the edges of knives and forks do not damage the box itself and the dishes nearby.
To do this, wrap the sharp ends with paper or soft cloth and secure them with tape.
It is enough to simply drag the spoons with tape so that they do not scatter throughout the box during transportation, and wrap them in any paper.
Packaging of other kitchen utensils
Pots and pans also require packaging when moving, although they are not as fragile as glass and crystal.
This is especially important if the pan is enameled and the pan is specially coated.
Wrap each item in paper or soft cloth.
Due to the heavyweight of these dishes, it is best to use sturdy shopping bags for transporting them.
If you are putting the dishes in a cardboard box, fill the empty spaces with packing material to secure them.
And wrap the box itself with adhesive tape on the outside, thereby ensuring greater strength of the container.
Some helpful tips for packing and transporting dishes
Read these tips and be sure to apply! Then you are guaranteed to bring all your dishes safe and sound:
- Before you start packing the dishes when you move, wash them well. If in a new place you do not immediately begin to use it, then mold and a bad smell will appear, which will attract unwanted insects.
- It is better to use wrapping paper rather than newspapers because newspaper type will stain the dishes and will have to be washed again.
- If there is a pet store near you, go there: they bring fish in plastic containers. And they are very convenient for carrying utensils. You can ask sellers for these boxes.
- In cups and glasses, the weakest point is the handles, which break first. Therefore, they must be separately wrapped with several paper napkins and, when placing them in the box, make sure that the handles do not touch other objects and are turned inside the box.
- When stacking dishes, observe the following rule: the largest and heaviest is placed on the bottom of the box or drawer. Above is placed already smaller and lighter. The voids must be filled with packing material!
- It is more convenient to put dishes in several small boxes than in one large one. And it is easier to carry, and it is better to break some of the items than all the dishes at once.
When pasting the next box, be sure to sign it. To do this, you can use stickers or a bright marker.
Moreover, it is advisable to write a detailed list of what is in this box. Not just “plates”, but “soup plates from the service.” Be sure to point the top of the box so that it is not overturned during loading!
Stickers can be fixed with narrow or wide tape on the top and sides of the container.
When you start unpacking boxes in your new apartment, you will understand how much easier it will make it easier for you to find the things you need.
No matter how well you pack your dishes, the chances are they will break. Therefore, you must insure your belongings with the carrier company and calculate the cost of damage compensation.
Take photos or notes to be convincing.
How to choose a good carrier?
It is very important which carrier to entrust the transportation of things when moving.
Here are the things you should pay attention to when choosing a company in order to safely deliver everything to a new location:
- Ask your friends and acquaintances who already have moving experience. Their recommendations will be the best advertisement.
- Many transport organizations can be found on the Internet. A reputable company has a website that contains detailed information about its activities: work experience, prices, types of services, etc. By the appearance of the site, one can judge how seriously the company takes its work.
- Contract. A self-respecting company itself will offer you to conclude an agreement with it, which will indicate the services provided, and prices, and terms of performance, and the responsibility of the parties. If you are refused to conclude a contract, leave without a doubt.
- Warranty. Any contract must indicate guarantees for the work performed. Pay attention to this.
- Own vehicle fleet. A good transport company must have cars with different carrying capacities and capacities. Examine them all and choose the one that you need.
- Many companies offer a range of services related to relocation, from packing things, providing movers, to furniture assemblers. Find out if they have all the specialists you need. If not, then it is better to choose another company.
- Pay attention to the speed of processing applications. If you have applied and have not been contacted within an hour, write to another company.
- When concluding a contract for the transportation of things, discuss the cost of work, what is included in it, payment methods, and in what time frame to do it. The indicated amount must remain unchanged until the end of the service.
- The level of customer service is important. A reputable company carefully selects personnel and will not allow drunk loaders or rude dispatchers to work for it.
They do not conclude any contracts with such teams, so you should not be surprised that no one will answer and pay for torn or stained upholstery of upholstered furniture, broken crystal, scratched, or broken kitchen set.
Therefore, a big plus for the transport company is the provision of professional movers. You will save a lot of nerves and money if you contact a reputable and experienced organization.
Disclaimer. The views and opinions expressed here are those of the authors. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of IdeasPlusBusiness.com. Any content provided by our bloggers or authors is of their opinion and is not intended to malign any organization, company, individual, or anyone or anything.
For questions, inquiries and advert placements on the blog, please send an email to the Editor at ideasplusbusiness[at]gmail[dot]com. You can also follow IdeasPlusBusiness.com on Twitter here and like our page on Facebook here. This website contains affiliate links to some products and services. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links at no extra cost to you.
The Ideas Plus Business Editorial team is responsible for this post. For collaborations and partnership requests, kindly send an email to the Editorial Team at ideasplusbusiness[at]gmail[dot]com for the terms and conditions. You can also follow IdeasPlusBusiness.com on Twitter here and like our page on Facebook here.